Booker and Lautenberg
January 24, 2013 (WABC) -- He needs a "spanking."
Really - that's what Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey said of his fellow Democrat, Newark Mayor Cory Booker, for declaring that he's running for Lautenberg's seat, before the Senator announced his plans for re-election.
Lautenberg's statement to a paper in Philadelphia is the first time the 89-year-old Senator has commented on Booker's rather surprising entry into a race that, at least for Dems, wasn't considered an open seat.
There are many who believe Booker, who is 43, would be a logical candidate for Lautenberg's seat - and the early polls show that - but there are many others who think it was impolitic and way-too-brash for Mr. Booker to simply announce his plans without any consideration and respect for Lautenberg's long service to the country and to his party.
Seems hard to imagine, given the spanking comment, that Lautenberg will step down this way. I'm just sayin'. But politics is a weird business, and you never know. We'll have any new developments, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, and speaking of politics - six men and women who want to be the next Mayor of New York will be on the same stage tonight for a forum sponsored by the Daily News. Should be a fascinating kick off.
We're also following the frightening abduction and attack in Brooklyn today of a 10-year-old girl. Who did this, and where is he now?
And Meteorologist Lee Goldberg tracks the cold belt that has tightened its grip on the Tri-State. He'll also have the latest on any snow that could hit the area tomorrow.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Diana Williams (in for Sade) and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday 22 min ago
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash 25 min ago
- Man fatally shot in head in West Village
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion 1 min ago
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case 16 min ago
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony
- Orb trainer fights nerves at Preakness
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at...
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos