Terrible accident on the LIE
December 19, 2012 (WABC) -- It's not often the Long Island Expressway is shutdown in both directions - but it is today.
A terrible accident in Suffolk County - next exit 68, involving a tractor-trailer and car, and then the chain-reaction, involving more than 30 cars.
It was a fiery crash, and we're told there may be fatalities. We know there are at least a dozen at the hospital.
We have several reporters on the scene, and we'll have the latest at 11.
Also at 11, another day filled with pain and heartbreak - this in a town that has already seen so much of it.
Six funerals today from the Newtown gun massacre:
Amid the sorrow - today an attempt to prevent "the next time."
From President Obama. It's not a commission - Mr. Obama made clear - and he wants proposals, led by his Vice President, by the end of January.
Will it be different this time? Different than all the other senseless massacres by madmen with guns? There does seem to be a sea change of sorts after the Sandy Hook Elementary School killings. Even conservatives, those with love affairs with their guns, are making noise that maybe now is the time to outlaw those magazines that hold dozens of rounds of ammunition. Why in the world does anyone need that, unless you're fighting Al Qaeda in Afghanistan?
We have reaction and the latest from Newtown, at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos