The gun debate
December 18, 2012 (WABC) -- I'm in Newtown again today - a little town that has become something of a pilgrimage site. Lots of traffic to get in here --- hard to find parking - but people do - and then they get out and just walk - looking at the overflowing makeshift memorials. Filed with stuff animals and candles and signs and balloons. They come not for spectacle but out of respect.
As you enter the town you see so many signs of sorrow. One of them says, simple, we are Newtown. It is at once both a rallying cry - and a plea. The feeling here tonight - with real talk about changing gun laws and changing how we deal with mental illness - is that finally, people are listening.
School resumed today. But just for a few days. Then winter break - and a season that is supposed to be filled with joy and celebration--- and the mantra of "Happy New Year."
But for the good people of Newtown-- well -- they are a long way from that. How could they not be?
Normal here -- is like a foreign language.
What is welcomed by some is a rash of changes that are, at least for now, sweeping various parts of the country. Dick's Sporting Goods, the giant national chain, announcing today that it is suspending sales of military-style rifles. And the Governor of Michigan today vetoed legislation that would have allowed concealed pistol license holders - after they finished additional training - to carry concealed pistols in schools and other places that currently are off-limits.
Meanwhile, the funerals continue here. Two more first graders buried today - their two families passing each other as one was leaving and the other was arriving. They stopped and hugged and cried.
We will have the latest from Newtown tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 22 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 33 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos