Horror at school
December 14, 2012 (WABC) -- What they must be feeling tonight - I just can't fathom. Those parents of the kids killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The horror of a shooting at the school, the fear when they rushed to the scene, the uncertainty of what they didn't know, and then the emotional cliff when they realized their kids were dead.
And those poor young children, the victims were all 5 to 10 years old - old enough to understand the loud bangs from the guns, old enough to understand gunshots, old enough to comprehend their friends and classmates getting killed, old enough to understand that they might - and then would - be next.
Damn I'm angry. And so filled with grief. Like all of you.
I've talked to my children; I just wish I could hug them. Right now.
We'll have complete coverage of this horrific tragedy, tonight at 11. And we're finding out more about the gunman - law enforcement officials say he is 20 year old Adam Lanza, who killed his mother, a kindergarten teacher at the school, and the kids, and then, we suspect, himself. His older brother Ryan was at first named as the shooter, but that changed as our reporting unfolded.
Either way - from the town where the game "Scrabble" was invented, the only words that come to mind are horrific, sorrowful and heartbreaking.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn 38 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97