Horror at school
December 14, 2012 (WABC) -- What they must be feeling tonight - I just can't fathom. Those parents of the kids killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The horror of a shooting at the school, the fear when they rushed to the scene, the uncertainty of what they didn't know, and then the emotional cliff when they realized their kids were dead.
And those poor young children, the victims were all 5 to 10 years old - old enough to understand the loud bangs from the guns, old enough to understand gunshots, old enough to comprehend their friends and classmates getting killed, old enough to understand that they might - and then would - be next.
Damn I'm angry. And so filled with grief. Like all of you.
I've talked to my children; I just wish I could hug them. Right now.
We'll have complete coverage of this horrific tragedy, tonight at 11. And we're finding out more about the gunman - law enforcement officials say he is 20 year old Adam Lanza, who killed his mother, a kindergarten teacher at the school, and the kids, and then, we suspect, himself. His older brother Ryan was at first named as the shooter, but that changed as our reporting unfolded.
Either way - from the town where the game "Scrabble" was invented, the only words that come to mind are horrific, sorrowful and heartbreaking.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 47 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 44 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 16 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 8 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 3 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos