Rice out, Kerry in?
December 13, 2012 (WABC) -- Can you say Secretary John Kerry? No Las Vegas odds yet about who will replace Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, but if Pres. Obama wants to get through the Senate confirmation process smoothly, perhaps the veteran Sen. Kerry might be the safe bet.
All this is fodder for speculation after U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice abruptly dropped out of consideration for the job today, after she was stung hard by criticism for her ill-advised "talking points" interviews after the disastrous massacre at the U.S. embassy in Libya that took the lives of four Americans.
Ms. Rice told the President the position should not be politicized and she worries that her confirmation process would be held up because of the controversy.
We'll have the latest tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we're looking into who gets all that money raised last night at the benefit concert for Sandy survivors. It may have been the biggest gathering of rock stars for a performance since Woodstock. Jeff Pegues is on the story for us. The concert turns out to be prelude to a bigger question about money: Will the $60 million in aid proposed by Pres. Obama for Sandy relief here be held up by the fiscal cliff fiasco?
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse