A Royal Baby
December 3, 2012 (WABC) -- So of course we're sending a big mazel tov to Prince William and Kate Middleton, and if you're an anglophile then you're over-the-moon about her pregnancy.
But if you've ever known any one with this rare pregnancy illness Ms. Middleton has, then "I'm sorry" is also an appropriate salutation.
Hyperemesis Gravidarum sounds like something out of Harry Potter. Oh, if only it were so. It's a rare condition something less than 2 percent of pregnant women suffer it, and it's characterized by protracted and often pregnancy-long nausea, vomiting, weight loss and electrolyte abnormalities.
It just sucks, according to a good friend who had it for both her kids.
Here are a couple of her recollections, as if they were yesterday, for her two pregnancies (her kids are now in their 20s):
"I was sick more than 10 times - I often thought If I had recorded my pregnancy I could be in the Guinness Book of World records. I would get sick even if I didn't eat. Getting sick on 'nothing' is more painful than getting sick "on something" so I would eat soft vanilla ice cream because it was still cold and still ice cream when it came back up. After throwing up all day for months, it is impossible to hold your bladder while heaving uncontrollably& so leakage became yet another social nightmare associated with this condition. I threw up during both of my deliveries - at one point, the doctor sat on my delivery bed, held me over his lap, held the vomit dish for me, stoked my hair and told anyone in the room& 'she is such a trooper& in a few hours this baby will be here and she can eat a pizza.' "
Both babies were born healthy, by the way.
So go ahead \rejoice for the crown and all that. But pity poor Kate Middleton. This is not pleasant.
We'll have any news on her, tonight at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green