Still no end to the fighting
November 20, 2012 (WABC) -- Hillary Clinton - channeling Henry Kissinger and doing her own shuttle diplomacy right now.
First in Jerusalem, but with destinations as well in the West Bank and then Cairo. Her brief statement this afternoon reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to Israel and its support of her right to defend herself. But it also, rightly from this perch, bemoaned the human loss on both sides, which right now total 133 Palestinians and 4 Israelis in a week of bloody rocket fire and air attacks.
There were all sorts of could-it, might-it, will-it happen speculation today about a possible ceasefire. But by the end of the day, at least at this writing, no such cessation of hostilities is on the table. But the rockets continue to fly, as do the aerial assaults from Israel. Violence, so much a part of each side's mentality and history, is apparently a hard thing to end, even in what could be the waning hours of official battle.
Our N.J. Burkett is in Jerusalem, following the latest developments for us, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, police and the FBI are trying to figure out if they indeed have a serial killer on the loose in Brooklyn. Three shopkeepers shot and killed in the past four months - all of them over 50, all of them alone, all of them killed with the same gun, all of them of Middle Eastern descent.
And a remarkable story about Hurricane Sandy tonight at 11 - a new website where pictures lost during the storm can be posted and the owners can claim them. What's the first thing people say they'd take out of their home if they could get only one thing? Pictures. Old pictures, of course, because nowadays photographs exist in the "cloud." But for all those that don't - now, a place to try to reunite owner and picture. Jim Dolan is on the story for us.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees