Into the devastation
November 15, 2012 (WABC) -- He's politicking, maneuvering and tip-toeing to avoid a fiscal cliff, but today Pres. Obama walked intentionally and firmly right onto devastated dunes.
Mr. Obama touring one of the hardest-hit areas of New York City - Staten Island. And he talked to the two people who so far have talked to no one else - Damien and Glenda Moore, whose two young boys, Brandon and Connor, were swept away in the flood waters on that terrifying night that Hurricane Sandy hit.
Mr. Obama, clearly moved by the encounter. Tonight at 11, we'll have reaction from Staten Island to the President's visit, and the latest on the recovery efforts.
Also at 11, we're following the unfolding developments in the Middle East, as it appears Israel is preparing to step up its military actions in Gaza. Sirens sounded in Tel Aviv, as Hamas launched more rockets. One estimate puts the number of rockets fired since yesterday into Israel at 275. This, in retaliation for the air strikes against Hamas by Israeli forces.
And so the tit-for-tat war sparks again. Israel, claiming self-defense, has called up tens of thousands of reservists, and there are reports of some massing along the Gaza border.
Defense Minister Ehud Barak calls it Operation Pillar of Defense. How much offense is involved? Well, many signs indicate we're about to find out. Jim Dolan is on the story for us tonight at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baby it's cold outside! 12 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Mega Millions hits $400M jackpot 48 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 25 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced