Preparing for Sandy
October 26, 2012 (WABC) -- I know some people who scoff at all the warnings, scoff at the extended coverage, and scoff at the predictions that this storm they call Sandy (sounds too much like a nice beach day for a Hurricane's name - but, hey, maybe that's just me) looks like an enormously damaging storm.
I've talked before about the fine line we walk - providing a public service and alerting our viewers about the track of a big storm, and at the same time not wanting to alarm people when it's not warranted. I promise, we talk about these things.
That said, we've been saying for several days that this is a bad storm, and folks in our area should plan accordingly. Now, we're tracking it with increased urgency. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg and his team have plotted the various possibilities - and they're continuing to refine it. As Lee says, it's a storm that will affect millions of people and cost billions in damage. How much of that hits us is the big question.
We're going to an all-hands-on-deck coverage mode, so we will all be reporting and anchoring as the first band of the storm arrives sometime late Sunday afternoon or early evening.
And if the doubters still have doubts - consider this: The Navy has ordered about 2 dozen of its ships, including an aircraft carrier, to leave port in the Norfolk and Virginia Beach areas, starting today. And as I write this, New York Gov. Cuomo has issued an emergency declaration throughout the entire state.
I'm just sayin'.
We'll have the latest on the storm track, tonight at 11. You can also watch all of our coverage online, so if the power goes out, turn to 7online on your laptop, or our Eyewitness News apps for the iPhone and iPad.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11, after 20/20.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- LIRR train derails in East River tunnel
- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Storm
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Victim of attempted robbery falls out window
- Suspect shot and killed in Newark robbery attempt
- Teacher suspended after alleged sending threatening voicemail
- Passenger arrested after incident on Newark-bound flight
- LI 7-Eleven owners accused of human smuggling
- NYC plans composting program to recycle food scraps
- abcnews: Murnaghans Face Backlash After Sarah's Lung...
- Actor Jeff Garlin won't face vandalism charges in LA
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos