October 24, 2012 (WABC) -- It's always fascinating to start planning for covering a hurricane. That's what we're doing right now.
We have an absolute public service responsibility to keep all of our viewers apprised and abreast of what the storm is doing, and where it's headed. We are also incredibly mindful that things can change, and the track a storm is on right now, might take a different direction in 72 hours. Or tomorrow.
And so with that caveat in mind, we're covering Hurricane Sandy, as it hits Jamaica tonight. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is tracking Sandy as it makes its way on a path that appears to be heading to our area. Again, we want to avoid any sky-is-falling shouts, but Lee's a cautious and calm guy, and when he says this has the strong possibility of being a terrible storm for the East Coast beginning Sunday and into the early part of next week, we listen. Will we be on the western side of Sandy, or directly in its clutches? We just don't know yet. But that's why Lee will likely be the lead of our newscast tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we're following the latest developments in the deadly shootings yesterday of a Nassau County cop and an innocent driver by a man police identify as Darrell Fuller. He just left Jamaica Medical Center, heading we believe to police headquarters, after he shot himself twice - in the neck/shoulder and in the leg. There are some reports he called cops after he shot himself. A bizarre story, and we'll have the latest tonight.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Laura Behnke (in for Rob Powers) with the night's sports, including the announced move of the Islanders from Long Island to Brooklyn. Now the borough that didn't have any pro sports team for more than half a century, will suddenly have two. Go figure. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run 39 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect 48 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 1 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
30 min ago