Hacker targets Houston family's baby monitor
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a terrifying experience for the parents of two young children after their baby monitor was hacked. What the hacker did next is even more disturbing.
The story has a creepy factor. The father in northwest Harris County says he and his wife heard a detached voiced saying sexual things to their two-year-old daughter and it was coming from her room.
For two years, Marc Gilbert and his wife have come to rely on their Internet cameras.
"We almost couldn't live without it," he said.
With them, they could watch their two toddlers in their rooms. But over the weekend, someone else was watching, too.
"It felt like somebody broke into our house," Gilbert said.
Gilbert says he first heard a voice from down the hall. As he and his wife got closer, what it was saying got worse.
"He said, 'Wake up Allyson, you little (expletive),'" Gilbert said.
And soon he knew it was coming from the camera.
"I see the camera move on us," Gilbert said.
Gilbert immediately pulled the plug and started doing research. He believes someone hacked his router as well as the camera. The person could see Allyson's name on the bedroom wall to call her by it.
He now wants to warn parents about the danger.
"As a father, I'm supposed to protect her against people like this. So it's a little embarrassing to say the least but it's not going to happen again," Gilbert said.
The only saving grace is that Allyson never heard a thing.
"Allyson was born deaf, so she has cochlear implants. Thankfully we had them off and she didn't hear any of it and she slept right through it," Gilbert said.
A computer expert suggests following all security recommendations for these types of cameras, as well as securing your home networks as much as possible.
local, jessica willey
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Cold, damp weather to continue
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Ice to linger over much of Texas
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats
- Crowds smoke pot, celebrate legalization
8 min ago