Bay Area Traffic
Highway 101 crash victims identified
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- The investigation continues into the cause of an accident on Highway 101 in Palo Alto early Friday morning that killed two sisters and injured four other family members.
Investigators are not ruling out that the driver may have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
The Tandel family from San Bruno was shopping for gifts in Gilroy to take with them to India for the eldest daughter's wedding.
As they returned home just before sunrise, the family's SUV drifted off the road and hit the back of a CHP car on Highway 101 near Palo Alto's Oregon exit.
The CHP officer who had pulled off the highway to help a driver change a flat tire suffered minor injuries.
The sisters who died from their injuries are identified as 24-year-old Nisha Tandel and 20-year-old Sheetal Tandel. Those injured include third sister 22-year-old Payal, an underage sister whose name was not released, their father Arvind, and his wife Yogita.
palo alto, highway 101, CHP, crash, gilroy, shopping, black friday, weddings, bay area traffic
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado 56 min ago
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home 15 min ago
- Spurs rout Grizzlies 105-83 in West finals opener 29 min ago
- Warriors PG Stephen Curry set to receive key to city
- SF police ask for help in solving 2012 B2B homicide
- US gas prices up 11 cents over past 2 weeks
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos