Bay Area Traffic
Highway 101 crash victims identified
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- The investigation continues into the cause of an accident on Highway 101 in Palo Alto early Friday morning that killed two sisters and injured four other family members.
Investigators are not ruling out that the driver may have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
The Tandel family from San Bruno was shopping for gifts in Gilroy to take with them to India for the eldest daughter's wedding.
As they returned home just before sunrise, the family's SUV drifted off the road and hit the back of a CHP car on Highway 101 near Palo Alto's Oregon exit.
The CHP officer who had pulled off the highway to help a driver change a flat tire suffered minor injuries.
The sisters who died from their injuries are identified as 24-year-old Nisha Tandel and 20-year-old Sheetal Tandel. Those injured include third sister 22-year-old Payal, an underage sister whose name was not released, their father Arvind, and his wife Yogita.
palo alto, highway 101, CHP, crash, gilroy, shopping, black friday, weddings, bay area traffic
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley 17 min ago
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week 50 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall 18 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos