Bay Area Traffic
Highway 101 crash victims identified
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- The investigation continues into the cause of an accident on Highway 101 in Palo Alto early Friday morning that killed two sisters and injured four other family members.
Investigators are not ruling out that the driver may have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
The Tandel family from San Bruno was shopping for gifts in Gilroy to take with them to India for the eldest daughter's wedding.
As they returned home just before sunrise, the family's SUV drifted off the road and hit the back of a CHP car on Highway 101 near Palo Alto's Oregon exit.
The CHP officer who had pulled off the highway to help a driver change a flat tire suffered minor injuries.
The sisters who died from their injuries are identified as 24-year-old Nisha Tandel and 20-year-old Sheetal Tandel. Those injured include third sister 22-year-old Payal, an underage sister whose name was not released, their father Arvind, and his wife Yogita.
palo alto, highway 101, CHP, crash, gilroy, shopping, black friday, weddings, bay area traffic
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos