Bay Area Traffic
Highway 101 crash victims identified
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- The investigation continues into the cause of an accident on Highway 101 in Palo Alto early Friday morning that killed two sisters and injured four other family members.
Investigators are not ruling out that the driver may have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
The Tandel family from San Bruno was shopping for gifts in Gilroy to take with them to India for the eldest daughter's wedding.
As they returned home just before sunrise, the family's SUV drifted off the road and hit the back of a CHP car on Highway 101 near Palo Alto's Oregon exit.
The CHP officer who had pulled off the highway to help a driver change a flat tire suffered minor injuries.
The sisters who died from their injuries are identified as 24-year-old Nisha Tandel and 20-year-old Sheetal Tandel. Those injured include third sister 22-year-old Payal, an underage sister whose name was not released, their father Arvind, and his wife Yogita.
palo alto, highway 101, CHP, crash, gilroy, shopping, black friday, weddings, bay area traffic
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 12 min ago
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
9 min ago