Bay Area Traffic
Highway 101 crash victims identified
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- The investigation continues into the cause of an accident on Highway 101 in Palo Alto early Friday morning that killed two sisters and injured four other family members.
Investigators are not ruling out that the driver may have fallen asleep behind the wheel.
The Tandel family from San Bruno was shopping for gifts in Gilroy to take with them to India for the eldest daughter's wedding.
As they returned home just before sunrise, the family's SUV drifted off the road and hit the back of a CHP car on Highway 101 near Palo Alto's Oregon exit.
The CHP officer who had pulled off the highway to help a driver change a flat tire suffered minor injuries.
The sisters who died from their injuries are identified as 24-year-old Nisha Tandel and 20-year-old Sheetal Tandel. Those injured include third sister 22-year-old Payal, an underage sister whose name was not released, their father Arvind, and his wife Yogita.
palo alto, highway 101, CHP, crash, gilroy, shopping, black friday, weddings, bay area traffic
- Freeze Warning expires; chilly temperatures remain
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Bay Bridge lanes re-opened after multi-vehicle crash
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added
- Judge refuses to block AA, US Airways merger 17 min ago
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need 41 min ago
- Banksy mural fetches $209K at California auction 7 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting 32 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos