Bay Area Traffic
San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge turns 76
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- ABC7 News would like to wish the Bay Bridge a happy birthday. The span, which originally opened on November 12, 1936, is now 76-years-old.
The bridge is one of the most traveled in the world, carrying 270,000 commuters a day. This will be a big year for the bridge with its new eastern span set to open next September.
Construction crews are expected to finish transferring the weight of the new roadway from a temporary support structure to its new suspension cables by Tuesday.
bay bridge, transportation, bay area traffic
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Only On 7: SF kids describe obstacles in Tenderloin
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Memorial taking place in SF to honor Mandela 18 min ago
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Oakland fire; Asiana crash hearing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos