Bay Area Traffic
San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge turns 76
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- ABC7 News would like to wish the Bay Bridge a happy birthday. The span, which originally opened on November 12, 1936, is now 76-years-old.
The bridge is one of the most traveled in the world, carrying 270,000 commuters a day. This will be a big year for the bridge with its new eastern span set to open next September.
Construction crews are expected to finish transferring the weight of the new roadway from a temporary support structure to its new suspension cables by Tuesday.
bay bridge, transportation, bay area traffic
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos