Bay Area Traffic
San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge turns 76
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- ABC7 News would like to wish the Bay Bridge a happy birthday. The span, which originally opened on November 12, 1936, is now 76-years-old.
The bridge is one of the most traveled in the world, carrying 270,000 commuters a day. This will be a big year for the bridge with its new eastern span set to open next September.
Construction crews are expected to finish transferring the weight of the new roadway from a temporary support structure to its new suspension cables by Tuesday.
bay bridge, transportation, bay area traffic
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 1 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer 8 min ago
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation 6 min ago
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos