Bay Area Traffic
San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge turns 76
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- ABC7 News would like to wish the Bay Bridge a happy birthday. The span, which originally opened on November 12, 1936, is now 76-years-old.
The bridge is one of the most traveled in the world, carrying 270,000 commuters a day. This will be a big year for the bridge with its new eastern span set to open next September.
Construction crews are expected to finish transferring the weight of the new roadway from a temporary support structure to its new suspension cables by Tuesday.
bay bridge, transportation, bay area traffic
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- Sonoma Co. supervisor takes stand in peeping trial
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Group still fighting to save Ice Center in San Mateo
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- Stocks close mostly higher on earnings; Apple up
- California bill attacks growing corporate wage gap
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF
- Historic Cal theater to reopen as live music venue
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members
- 7OYS investigates Discount Gold Brokers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued