Monterey Bay Aquarium sea otter dies
MONTEREY, Calif. -- An 11-year-old female sea otter at the Monterey Bay Aquarium died over the weekend, aquarium officials said Monday.
Mae, the first surrogate mother otter to raise a pup on exhibit at the aquarium, began having seizures last Wednesday and died late Saturday afternoon, aquarium spokesman Ken Peterson said.
The animal's cause of death is unknown, pending the results of a necropsy.
Mae, nicknamed "Mayhem" by aquarium staff because of her feisty personality, was rescued in April 2001 as a two-day-old pup and ended up staying at the aquarium after researchers determined she was not acquiring the skills needed to survive in the wild.
The name Mae -- that of a truck stop waitress with a screeching voice in Monterey-area native John Steinbeck's famous book "The Grapes of Wrath" -- was chosen by the public for the animal in an online poll.
Mae's first surrogate pup, Kit, is now at SeaWorld in San Diego, and she also served as a surrogate mother to four other pups and as a companion animal to many others at the aquarium.
Peterson said sea otters typically live up to 20 years old.
The sea otter exhibit at the aquarium is currently closed for renovations and is set to reopen in mid-March 2013.
animal, monterey, monterey bay aquarium, california news
- San Jose suing MLB for not allowing A's to move
- Accused naked BART attacker appears in court 58 min ago
- One dead in Sunnyvale house fire on Central Avenue
- Interest rates for subsidized loans may double July 1
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel 34 min ago
- Fire burns 50 acres in Benicia 30 min ago
- Hayward BART reopens after fatality on track 47 min ago
- Sacramento discusses self-driving car regulations
- Tenderloin apartment building roof fire extinguished
- SF to vote on new regulations for food trucks 43 min ago
- Concord police arm car owners with Clubs 49 min ago
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: SF hospital fire; SF Giants unveil cafe
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Suited men duke it out in road rage brawl
8 min ago