Harbaugh: 49ers are fired up and ready for big game
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- The San Francisco 49ers are working hard, practicing like the Super Bowl is this Sunday, instead of a week from Sunday.
The team leaves for New Orleans this weekend. On Friday they practiced plays and strategies that they hope will help them win their first Super Bowl in 18 years.
Coach Jim Harbaugh says he wants his players not just to win, but to also bask in the experience, "You know, I want them to enjoy it. I want them to enjoy every minute and especially enjoy the competition."
Harbaugh says his team is fired up and ready for the big game. Most of this 49er team has never been to a Super Bowl. He's proud they're going to have the experience of a lifetime.
"That's the most exciting thing to look forward to is playing the game," Harbaugh said. "That ball being kicked off and working together, fighting together, playing together for a chance to win a championship."
His players say Harbaugh's an inspiration. Tight end Vernon Davis says his coach's energy and drive is contagious.
"His energy is so high, you know, he keeps it that way which is good cause we all feed on that," Davis said.
This was the last time that Harbaugh would hold a news conference before heading out to New Orleans. Also the last time players can express their expectations. Kicker David Akers has had a rough year. He says he's ready for Baltimore.
"The team obviously has faith in me, they've kept me here," Akers said. "I'm going to go out and give everything I have every time."
Backup tight end Delaine Walker says practicing in Santa Clara and thinking about going to his first Super Bowl seems a bit unreal.
"I think once we get to New Orleans and we start practicing outside the box it'll start hitting us," Walker said.
Offensive lineman Alex Boone says he's been warned by Super Bowl veterans not to let the spectacle of the big game affect his focus.
"There's going to be a time when like, man are we playing a game today or are we out here for a concert, and they're like, 'hey man, stay focused at all time,'" Boone said.
The Niners will hold a practice again Saturday in Santa Clara. Then they'll head out to New Orleans on Sunday
san francisco 49ers, nfl, nfl playoffs, super bowl, nfl
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found 50 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible 50 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts 38 min ago
- Footage examined to ID two with stolen...
25 min ago