Turtle swimming again with new prosthetic flippers
JAPAN (KGO) -- A loggerhead turtle is back in the swim of things thanks to some innovation thinking.
"Yu-chan" showed off her new prosthetic flippers this week at the Suma Aqualife Park in Kobe, Japan. She was found in a fishing net back in 2008 with badly-damaged fins, probably from a shark attack.
In that time she's had 27 different sets of flippers.
This time though, researchers strapped a special jacket outfitted with the flippers around her shell. It's a better fit, and easier for her to swim.
animal, animals in peril, medical research, national/world
- Freeze Warning remains in effect across Bay Area
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Multi-vehicle crash blocking lanes on Bay Bridge
- Speeding driver rear-ends San Jose police officer
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Hate crime task force; Suspect fatally shot
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos