South Bay News
Former Defense Secretary gives SCU commencement speech
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Former CIA director and U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was the commencement speaker Saturday at Santa Clara University where he also received an honorary doctorate degree.
Panetta received his bachelor's degree and law degree from the university in the 1960's. He had inspiring words for the new graduates.
"You are not just our hope for a better future, you are our future and the key to whether we remain a government of by and for all people," Panetta said.
Panetta says he first met his wife at the university. He also taught a political science course there and served on the S.C.U Board of Trustees.
leon panetta, santa clara, santa clara university, south bay news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 17 min ago
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver 32 min ago
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos