South Bay News
Former Defense Secretary gives SCU commencement speech
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Former CIA director and U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was the commencement speaker Saturday at Santa Clara University where he also received an honorary doctorate degree.
Panetta received his bachelor's degree and law degree from the university in the 1960's. He had inspiring words for the new graduates.
"You are not just our hope for a better future, you are our future and the key to whether we remain a government of by and for all people," Panetta said.
Panetta says he first met his wife at the university. He also taught a political science course there and served on the S.C.U Board of Trustees.
leon panetta, santa clara, santa clara university, south bay news
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault 32 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday