South Bay News
Former Defense Secretary gives SCU commencement speech
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Former CIA director and U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was the commencement speaker Saturday at Santa Clara University where he also received an honorary doctorate degree.
Panetta received his bachelor's degree and law degree from the university in the 1960's. He had inspiring words for the new graduates.
"You are not just our hope for a better future, you are our future and the key to whether we remain a government of by and for all people," Panetta said.
Panetta says he first met his wife at the university. He also taught a political science course there and served on the S.C.U Board of Trustees.
leon panetta, santa clara, santa clara university, south bay news
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 3 min ago
- Police make arrest in Daly City shooting
- Relative talks about stowaway teen's struggles
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- Prosecutors lay out evidence against Supervisor Carrillo
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- Tentative deal reached in TSA breast-milk lawsuit
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan