South Bay News
Former Defense Secretary gives SCU commencement speech
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Former CIA director and U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was the commencement speaker Saturday at Santa Clara University where he also received an honorary doctorate degree.
Panetta received his bachelor's degree and law degree from the university in the 1960's. He had inspiring words for the new graduates.
"You are not just our hope for a better future, you are our future and the key to whether we remain a government of by and for all people," Panetta said.
Panetta says he first met his wife at the university. He also taught a political science course there and served on the S.C.U Board of Trustees.
leon panetta, santa clara, santa clara university, south bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...