South Bay News
SJPD arrest parolee who stole police van
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A man who maneuvered his body through handcuffs and drove away in a police van Wednesday was arrested late Thursday after patrol officers found him sleeping in a stolen truck in south San Jose, police said.
Anthony Sanchez, 32, was found by officers at about 11:22 p.m. dozing inside the truck near Normington Way and Mountcastle Drive west of Pearl Avenue, San Jose police spokesman Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.
Officers took Sanchez into custody without incident and found two sets of handcuffs taken from the unmarked police van on Wednesday, Dwyer said.
Sanchez was arrested on suspicion of four counts of car theft, as well as burglary, possession of narcotics and stolen property and two probation violation warrants, Dwyer said.
On Wednesday night, a police officer arrested and handcuffed Sanchez on a probation violation and placed him in the unmarked police van in the 800 block of Hillsdale Avenue in San Jose.
As the police officer completed paperwork, Sanchez maneuvered the cuffs from behind his back to the front of his body, leapt into the driver's seat of the van and used the key in the ignition to drive away in it.
Police located the van about two hours later near Almaden Expressway and Wren Drive in South San Jose.
san jose, SJPD, crime, south bay news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Mountain View police searching for missing boy 31 min ago
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88 11 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school 3 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 49 min ago
- 1 dead, 3 injured in North Richmond shooting 22 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law 34 min ago
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
47 min ago