South Bay News
Student recants story of seeing gunman
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- The search for a gunman in Sunnyvale that prompted the lockdown of three schools has ended after public safety officials said information may have been fabricated.
A search was under way Friday morning between Homestead Road, South Bernardo Avenue, Helena Drive and Wright Avenue for the suspect.
However, according to officials, the sighting of a gunman in the area may have been fabricated in a 911 call.
Sunnyvale's city website posted a statement that said Cupertino Middle School and West Valley Elementary School had been locked down, as well as Homestead High School in Cupertino.
The statement said Cupertino Middle School, which is within the search area, was in "code red" mode while the other two schools were "code blue," meaning they were only locked down as a precaution.
sunnyvale, cupertino, school lockdown, crime, children, south bay news
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions 48 min ago
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Big-rig accident blocks WB I-580 lanes in Pleasanton
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae 15 min ago
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Journey guitarist to get married in SF on pay-per-view
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday