South Bay News
Sex offender caught volunteering at Catholic school festival
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A registered sex offender was caught volunteering at a South Bay Catholic school. It is illegal for a sex offender to be on school grounds, but in this case, he had permission from the church.
San Jose church allowed a convicted child molester to volunteer at a children's festival. A lot of the parents picking up their kids on Wednesday night knew nothing about this incident. There were no emails or information released from the school.
Mark Christopher Gurries, 51, worked as a volunteer at the St. Frances Cabrini Catholic School festival last month according to our media partner the San Jose Mercury News. They say someone recognized Gurries as a sex offender and notified a Santa Clara County deputy on site.
However, Gurries wasn't arrested because he had a letter with written permission from a church official to be there. He is a registered sex offender who had reached a plea deal with the district attorney for molesting a young relative more than a decade ago.
Gurries was at the school festival working the sound system with little to no supervision with hundreds of kindergarten through 8th grade students in attendance, according to the Mercury News.
The pastor at St. Frances and the Diocese of San Jose, told the newspaper they had no information on the source of the letter granting Gurries permission to be on school property. That begs the question, is the letter even valid and who, if anyone, in the church or the diocese wrote that letter? Those are things the sheriff's department is investigating.
san jose, sex offender, south bay news
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Bay Area man arrested for killing relatives abroad
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 11 min ago
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case 24 min ago
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup 14 min ago
- Get Free Stuff: Coffee; Shampoo
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday