San Francisco News
City College teacher gets sixth Grammy nomination
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A teacher at City College of San Francisco has been nominated for a Grammy award and it's not his first. Greg Landau has now been nominated six times. He says his inspiration to produce cultural music comes from teaching Latin American studies.
Landau is a City College teacher who is drawn to the music of Veracruz in Mexico called Son Jarocho. "It comes from a Spanish rhythm called fandango, fandango meaning party, it's a party where there's a 6/8 rhythm," he explained. "Some of the African elements, some of the hybrid elements, mixing Spanish-African and indigenous music styles."
Landau produced the CD performed by the Veracruz group "Los Cojolites." It was good enough to earn him a Grammy nomination in the category of best Mexican Regional Music. It's his sixth nomination. "None of my productions have won, but we feel it's an honor to be nominated, especially since all of these are independent productions with virtually no budget," he said.
Landau says there are other rewards. He uses his knowledge of music to teach students about the history, culture, and art of Latin America. He points out that all of those elements are embedded in a mural by Mexican artist Diego Rivera at City College. "And the music is a reflection of that, a way of honoring ancestors and tradition," he told ABC7 News. "The same way this mural fuses and looks at how these cultures come together," he told a class.
This weekend, Landau will head to Hollywood hoping his sixth Grammy nomination is the charm.
celebrity, music, award shows, san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge 55 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday