San Francisco News
City College teacher gets sixth Grammy nomination
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A teacher at City College of San Francisco has been nominated for a Grammy award and it's not his first. Greg Landau has now been nominated six times. He says his inspiration to produce cultural music comes from teaching Latin American studies.
Landau is a City College teacher who is drawn to the music of Veracruz in Mexico called Son Jarocho. "It comes from a Spanish rhythm called fandango, fandango meaning party, it's a party where there's a 6/8 rhythm," he explained. "Some of the African elements, some of the hybrid elements, mixing Spanish-African and indigenous music styles."
Landau produced the CD performed by the Veracruz group "Los Cojolites." It was good enough to earn him a Grammy nomination in the category of best Mexican Regional Music. It's his sixth nomination. "None of my productions have won, but we feel it's an honor to be nominated, especially since all of these are independent productions with virtually no budget," he said.
Landau says there are other rewards. He uses his knowledge of music to teach students about the history, culture, and art of Latin America. He points out that all of those elements are embedded in a mural by Mexican artist Diego Rivera at City College. "And the music is a reflection of that, a way of honoring ancestors and tradition," he told ABC7 News. "The same way this mural fuses and looks at how these cultures come together," he told a class.
This weekend, Landau will head to Hollywood hoping his sixth Grammy nomination is the charm.
celebrity, music, award shows, san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb kills 91 20 min ago
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Teen dead, 2 injured in East Palo Alto shooting
- Vallejo fire leaves one person hospitalized
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
33 min ago