San Francisco News
City College teacher gets sixth Grammy nomination
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A teacher at City College of San Francisco has been nominated for a Grammy award and it's not his first. Greg Landau has now been nominated six times. He says his inspiration to produce cultural music comes from teaching Latin American studies.
Landau is a City College teacher who is drawn to the music of Veracruz in Mexico called Son Jarocho. "It comes from a Spanish rhythm called fandango, fandango meaning party, it's a party where there's a 6/8 rhythm," he explained. "Some of the African elements, some of the hybrid elements, mixing Spanish-African and indigenous music styles."
Landau produced the CD performed by the Veracruz group "Los Cojolites." It was good enough to earn him a Grammy nomination in the category of best Mexican Regional Music. It's his sixth nomination. "None of my productions have won, but we feel it's an honor to be nominated, especially since all of these are independent productions with virtually no budget," he said.
Landau says there are other rewards. He uses his knowledge of music to teach students about the history, culture, and art of Latin America. He points out that all of those elements are embedded in a mural by Mexican artist Diego Rivera at City College. "And the music is a reflection of that, a way of honoring ancestors and tradition," he told ABC7 News. "The same way this mural fuses and looks at how these cultures come together," he told a class.
This weekend, Landau will head to Hollywood hoping his sixth Grammy nomination is the charm.
celebrity, music, award shows, san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday