Driver arrested for DUI after driving car into house
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- An elderly man who drove into a pedestrian and a Palo Alto home Tuesday afternoon has been arrested for drunken driving, police said.
The crash was reported at 4:23 p.m. in the 800 block of Boyce Avenue, police Agent Cynthia Kono said.
The car veered off of Boyce Avenue into a home that was scheduled for demolition next week for a remodel, according to the Palo Alto Fire Department.
A man in his 30s from San Francisco was struck in front of the house and rushed to Stanford Hospital's emergency room, officials said. He suffered moderate injuries and is expected to survive, Kono said.
The driver, a Palo Alto resident in his 70s, stayed at the scene and was later arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and will be booked into San Mateo County Jail, Kono said.
Firefighters are shoring the damaged structure to make it safe for the homeowners to retrieve belongings, fire officials said. Kono said the north side of the home was mostly destroyed.
palo alto, crash, DUI, peninsula news
- Two fires break out near each other in Hayward 47 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 6 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos