Driver arrested for DUI after driving car into house
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- An elderly man who drove into a pedestrian and a Palo Alto home Tuesday afternoon has been arrested for drunken driving, police said.
The crash was reported at 4:23 p.m. in the 800 block of Boyce Avenue, police Agent Cynthia Kono said.
The car veered off of Boyce Avenue into a home that was scheduled for demolition next week for a remodel, according to the Palo Alto Fire Department.
A man in his 30s from San Francisco was struck in front of the house and rushed to Stanford Hospital's emergency room, officials said. He suffered moderate injuries and is expected to survive, Kono said.
The driver, a Palo Alto resident in his 70s, stayed at the scene and was later arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and will be booked into San Mateo County Jail, Kono said.
Firefighters are shoring the damaged structure to make it safe for the homeowners to retrieve belongings, fire officials said. Kono said the north side of the home was mostly destroyed.
palo alto, crash, DUI, peninsula news
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stocks close mostly higher on earnings; Apple up
- California bill attacks growing corporate wage gap
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Historic Cal theater to reopen as live music venue
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued