Driver arrested for DUI after driving car into house
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- An elderly man who drove into a pedestrian and a Palo Alto home Tuesday afternoon has been arrested for drunken driving, police said.
The crash was reported at 4:23 p.m. in the 800 block of Boyce Avenue, police Agent Cynthia Kono said.
The car veered off of Boyce Avenue into a home that was scheduled for demolition next week for a remodel, according to the Palo Alto Fire Department.
A man in his 30s from San Francisco was struck in front of the house and rushed to Stanford Hospital's emergency room, officials said. He suffered moderate injuries and is expected to survive, Kono said.
The driver, a Palo Alto resident in his 70s, stayed at the scene and was later arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and will be booked into San Mateo County Jail, Kono said.
Firefighters are shoring the damaged structure to make it safe for the homeowners to retrieve belongings, fire officials said. Kono said the north side of the home was mostly destroyed.
palo alto, crash, DUI, peninsula news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday