Driver arrested for DUI after driving car into house
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- An elderly man who drove into a pedestrian and a Palo Alto home Tuesday afternoon has been arrested for drunken driving, police said.
The crash was reported at 4:23 p.m. in the 800 block of Boyce Avenue, police Agent Cynthia Kono said.
The car veered off of Boyce Avenue into a home that was scheduled for demolition next week for a remodel, according to the Palo Alto Fire Department.
A man in his 30s from San Francisco was struck in front of the house and rushed to Stanford Hospital's emergency room, officials said. He suffered moderate injuries and is expected to survive, Kono said.
The driver, a Palo Alto resident in his 70s, stayed at the scene and was later arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and will be booked into San Mateo County Jail, Kono said.
Firefighters are shoring the damaged structure to make it safe for the homeowners to retrieve belongings, fire officials said. Kono said the north side of the home was mostly destroyed.
palo alto, crash, DUI, peninsula news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits 48 min ago
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO 17 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting 24 min ago
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue 39 min ago
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature 53 min ago
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online 8 min ago
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping 52 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
17 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to...
24 min ago