Woman killed while crossing the road
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A pedestrian was struck and killed while crossing the road in Palo Alto Friday night.
Officers were called around 8 p.m. to a report of a major injury accident in the 800 block of Embarcadero Road near Rinconada Park, police said.
Emergency responders arriving on the scene located the victim, a Palo Alto woman in her 70s who had been hit while crossing Embarcadero Road between Walnut Drive and Bret Harte Street, where there is no crosswalk, according to police.
The woman was taken to a local hospital where she later died from her injuries. Her name has not yet been released pending the notification of relatives.
Police said a San Jose woman in her 30s was driving the pickup truck that struck the victim. The driver stopped at the scene immediately after the collision and is cooperating fully with the police investigation.
The cause of the collision has not yet been determined, but police say alcohol and drugs do not appear to be a factor.
Police are asking anyone who witnessed the collision to call (650) 329-2413. Those who wish to remain anonymous may email a tip to paloaltotipnow.org or sent a text or voice message to (650) 383-8984.
crash, palo alto, pedestrian struck, peninsula news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday