Woman killed while crossing the road
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A pedestrian was struck and killed while crossing the road in Palo Alto Friday night.
Officers were called around 8 p.m. to a report of a major injury accident in the 800 block of Embarcadero Road near Rinconada Park, police said.
Emergency responders arriving on the scene located the victim, a Palo Alto woman in her 70s who had been hit while crossing Embarcadero Road between Walnut Drive and Bret Harte Street, where there is no crosswalk, according to police.
The woman was taken to a local hospital where she later died from her injuries. Her name has not yet been released pending the notification of relatives.
Police said a San Jose woman in her 30s was driving the pickup truck that struck the victim. The driver stopped at the scene immediately after the collision and is cooperating fully with the police investigation.
The cause of the collision has not yet been determined, but police say alcohol and drugs do not appear to be a factor.
Police are asking anyone who witnessed the collision to call (650) 329-2413. Those who wish to remain anonymous may email a tip to paloaltotipnow.org or sent a text or voice message to (650) 383-8984.
crash, palo alto, pedestrian struck, peninsula news
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- 7.5 preliminary magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 6 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond 21 min ago
- Good Samaritan helps save lives in North Bay fire
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos