Woman killed while crossing the road
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A pedestrian was struck and killed while crossing the road in Palo Alto Friday night.
Officers were called around 8 p.m. to a report of a major injury accident in the 800 block of Embarcadero Road near Rinconada Park, police said.
Emergency responders arriving on the scene located the victim, a Palo Alto woman in her 70s who had been hit while crossing Embarcadero Road between Walnut Drive and Bret Harte Street, where there is no crosswalk, according to police.
The woman was taken to a local hospital where she later died from her injuries. Her name has not yet been released pending the notification of relatives.
Police said a San Jose woman in her 30s was driving the pickup truck that struck the victim. The driver stopped at the scene immediately after the collision and is cooperating fully with the police investigation.
The cause of the collision has not yet been determined, but police say alcohol and drugs do not appear to be a factor.
Police are asking anyone who witnessed the collision to call (650) 329-2413. Those who wish to remain anonymous may email a tip to paloaltotipnow.org or sent a text or voice message to (650) 383-8984.
crash, palo alto, pedestrian struck, peninsula news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case