North Bay News
Woman killed in Highway 1 crash near Bodega Bay Id'd
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- The Sonoma County coroner's office has identified a woman who died in a crash on state Highway 1 north of Bodega Bay on Sunday night as Tanya Luna, 22, of Sonoma.
Investigators believe Luna became distracted while she was using a GPS application on her cellphone as she drove north on Highway 1 near Carmet Drive in a Honda Accord around 9:15 p.m., CHP Sgt. Allan Capurro said Monday morning.
As the Honda approached a curve, it veered off the roadway and overturned in a drainage culvert, Capurro said.
Her passengers, a man and two teenagers, all Sonoma residents, suffered minor injuries and were taken to Palm Drive Hospital in Sebastopol, Capurro said.
Luna was pronounced dead at the scene.
Capurro said the crash appears to be "a tragic consequence of distracted driving," and that alcohol is believed to have been a factor.
sonoma county, highway 1, crash, alcohol, cellphone, smartphones, north bay news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 58 min ago
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
56 min ago