North Bay News
Woman killed in Highway 1 crash near Bodega Bay Id'd
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- The Sonoma County coroner's office has identified a woman who died in a crash on state Highway 1 north of Bodega Bay on Sunday night as Tanya Luna, 22, of Sonoma.
Investigators believe Luna became distracted while she was using a GPS application on her cellphone as she drove north on Highway 1 near Carmet Drive in a Honda Accord around 9:15 p.m., CHP Sgt. Allan Capurro said Monday morning.
As the Honda approached a curve, it veered off the roadway and overturned in a drainage culvert, Capurro said.
Her passengers, a man and two teenagers, all Sonoma residents, suffered minor injuries and were taken to Palm Drive Hospital in Sebastopol, Capurro said.
Luna was pronounced dead at the scene.
Capurro said the crash appears to be "a tragic consequence of distracted driving," and that alcohol is believed to have been a factor.
sonoma county, highway 1, crash, alcohol, cellphone, smartphones, north bay news
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela 38 min ago
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Man fatally stabbed on East 20th Street in Oakland
- Lane of Highway 101 closed after car crashes into pole
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- National memorial to be held for Nelson...
38 min ago