North Bay News
Woman killed in Highway 1 crash near Bodega Bay Id'd
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- The Sonoma County coroner's office has identified a woman who died in a crash on state Highway 1 north of Bodega Bay on Sunday night as Tanya Luna, 22, of Sonoma.
Investigators believe Luna became distracted while she was using a GPS application on her cellphone as she drove north on Highway 1 near Carmet Drive in a Honda Accord around 9:15 p.m., CHP Sgt. Allan Capurro said Monday morning.
As the Honda approached a curve, it veered off the roadway and overturned in a drainage culvert, Capurro said.
Her passengers, a man and two teenagers, all Sonoma residents, suffered minor injuries and were taken to Palm Drive Hospital in Sebastopol, Capurro said.
Luna was pronounced dead at the scene.
Capurro said the crash appears to be "a tragic consequence of distracted driving," and that alcohol is believed to have been a factor.
sonoma county, highway 1, crash, alcohol, cellphone, smartphones, north bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos