North Bay News
Woman killed in Highway 1 crash near Bodega Bay Id'd
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- The Sonoma County coroner's office has identified a woman who died in a crash on state Highway 1 north of Bodega Bay on Sunday night as Tanya Luna, 22, of Sonoma.
Investigators believe Luna became distracted while she was using a GPS application on her cellphone as she drove north on Highway 1 near Carmet Drive in a Honda Accord around 9:15 p.m., CHP Sgt. Allan Capurro said Monday morning.
As the Honda approached a curve, it veered off the roadway and overturned in a drainage culvert, Capurro said.
Her passengers, a man and two teenagers, all Sonoma residents, suffered minor injuries and were taken to Palm Drive Hospital in Sebastopol, Capurro said.
Luna was pronounced dead at the scene.
Capurro said the crash appears to be "a tragic consequence of distracted driving," and that alcohol is believed to have been a factor.
sonoma county, highway 1, crash, alcohol, cellphone, smartphones, north bay news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF 33 min ago
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 30 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall 47 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- Mom bites dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos