North Bay News
Pool chemical spill forces road closure in Santa Rosa
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- Fountaingrove Parkway in Santa Rosa was shut down for hours this morning after a truck spilled pool-cleaning chemicals on the roadway, a Santa Rosa fire official chief said.
Battalion Chief Jack Piccinini said several white plastic 1-gallon containers holding muriatic acid and chlorine or sodium bicarbonate tablets fell from the back of an eastbound truck shortly before 8 a.m.
The liquid and powder mixed, forming a vapor cloud that forced the closure of the road in both directions between Mendocino Avenue and Altruria Drive, Piccinini said.
Witnesses said the truck driver stopped and took some of the busted plastic containers, and tried to clean up the mess, but appeared to be affected by the vapor cloud and drove away, Piccinini said.
His identity is still unknown, but it is believed he works for a pool-cleaning company, Piccinini said.
Firefighters found three undamaged plastic containers and one half-full container when they arrived, Piccinini said.
A woman who drove through the area reported feeling ill and was taken to Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa, Piccinini said.
The road closure created a traffic nightmare on nearby surface streets, Piccinini said. No businesses or residents were evacuated.
The Santa Rosa Fire Department's hazardous materials team has cleaned up the spill and expected to reopen the road in the early afternoon.
santa rosa, chemical spill, north bay news
- San Jose suing MLB for not allowing A's to move 36 min ago
- Dixon boy fatally mauled by dog in Union City
- One dead in Sunnyvale house fire on Central Avenue
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Police ID Boulevard Burger armed robbery suspect 11 min ago
- Colma BART station reopened after fatality
- 7 construction workers, firefighter hurt in SF General fire
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after SF Hwy 101 crash
- Authorities: Unattended campfire caused Calif. fire
- Intel chief: NSA foiled dozens of terrorist plots
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: SF hospital fire; SF Giants unveil cafe 40 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday