North Bay News
Pool chemical spill forces road closure in Santa Rosa
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- Fountaingrove Parkway in Santa Rosa was shut down for hours this morning after a truck spilled pool-cleaning chemicals on the roadway, a Santa Rosa fire official chief said.
Battalion Chief Jack Piccinini said several white plastic 1-gallon containers holding muriatic acid and chlorine or sodium bicarbonate tablets fell from the back of an eastbound truck shortly before 8 a.m.
The liquid and powder mixed, forming a vapor cloud that forced the closure of the road in both directions between Mendocino Avenue and Altruria Drive, Piccinini said.
Witnesses said the truck driver stopped and took some of the busted plastic containers, and tried to clean up the mess, but appeared to be affected by the vapor cloud and drove away, Piccinini said.
His identity is still unknown, but it is believed he works for a pool-cleaning company, Piccinini said.
Firefighters found three undamaged plastic containers and one half-full container when they arrived, Piccinini said.
A woman who drove through the area reported feeling ill and was taken to Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa, Piccinini said.
The road closure created a traffic nightmare on nearby surface streets, Piccinini said. No businesses or residents were evacuated.
The Santa Rosa Fire Department's hazardous materials team has cleaned up the spill and expected to reopen the road in the early afternoon.
santa rosa, chemical spill, north bay news
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for today 19 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos