North Bay News
Slain Vallejo police officer immortalized in song
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A Vallejo police officer gunned down in November while chasing a suspected bank robber has been memorialized with a song and video recorded in his honor by a fellow police officer.
The song, "Won't Be Forgotten," was written by Vallejo police Cpl. Steve Darden, according to William Tweedy, a retired fire department spokesman for the city.
The song includes spoken tributes to Capoot, a 45-year-old former Marine who served 19 years on the Vallejo police force.
"Jim Capoot, badge 497, won't be forgotten, we know you're in heaven," the song's chorus says. "Vallejo PD gonna miss you man, please God, help us through the pain."
The song can be heard on YouTube at and can be downloaded from CDBaby.com, with all proceeds going toward the James Capoot Memorial Fund, established by the Vallejo Police Officers Association for Capoot's family, Tweedy said.
Capoot, a Vacaville resident, was fatally shot by a suspected bank robber he was chasing on Nov. 17.
An Arkansas native, he left behind a wife and three daughters and was a much beloved coach of Vallejo High School's girls basketball team.
Police arrested Fairfield resident Henry Albert Smith Jr., 37, for the shooting. Smith is awaiting a preliminary hearing in the case in Solano County Superior Court.
vallejo, crime, music, north bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman 25 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 1 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire