North Bay News
Man pleads not guilty to killing Vallejo officer
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- The man accused of fatally shooting Vallejo police Officer James Capoot earlier this month pleaded not guilty to capital murder charges in a Fairfield courtroom Tuesday morning.
Police have said that Fairfield resident Henry Albert Smith Jr., 37, shot Capoot, 45, during a chase that followed a robbery at a Bank of America on Springs Road the afternoon of Nov. 17.
Capoot, a 19-year veteran of the Vallejo Police Department, had responded to reports of a robbery at the bank that afternoon and pursued Smith, who was driving a GMC Denali, to Janice Street, where the shooting occurred during a foot chase.
Smith has been charged with murder and four special-circumstance allegations that make him eligible for the death penalty. Those are murdering a peace officer, committing murder during a robbery, lying in wait and committing murder to avoid arrest.
On Monday, Judge Peter Foor barred all video cameras from Smith's court proceedings, allowing only still cameras, said Chief Deputy Public Defender Oscar Bobrow, who is representing Smith.
The defense had sought to have both still and video cameras barred from the courtroom, arguing last week that disseminating more images of Smith could put his safety at risk.
Smith will return to court on Thursday, when Foor is set to rule on a gag order requested by the prosecution, Deputy District Attorney Karen Jensen said today. A readiness conference is scheduled for Jan. 31, she said.
Smith is being held without bail in Solano County Jail.
shooting, crime, vallejo, north bay news
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 2 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos