North Bay News
Memorial planned next week for Vallejo officer
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A memorial service is planned in Vallejo next week for slain police Officer James Capoot.
The memorial is scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday at Corbus Field, adjacent to Vallejo High School, where Capoot had coached a girls' basketball team.
Capoot, 45, was fatally shot while chasing a bank robbery suspect on Nov. 17. He is survived by his wife Jennifer and three daughters, Jillian, Jamie and Justine.
Capoot, who had been with the Police Department for 19 years, was the fourth Vallejo police officer killed in the line of duty in the city's 155-year history.
A former U.S. Marine, Capoot worked as a California Highway Patrol officer between 1990 and 1992 when he joined the Vallejo Police Department.
On the Vallejo police force, he had served as a motorcycle officer and instructor, a force operations instructor and a SWAT officer.
He received the Officer of the Year award in 2000, and was also awarded two of the department's Medals of Courage, a Life-Saving Medal and other commendations.
A trust fund has been established for his family at the Bank of the West in Vallejo. Donations can be made out to the Officer James Capoot Family Trust and mailed to the Vallejo Police Officers' Association, care of Sgt. Mark Nichol, P.O. Box 4218, Vallejo, CA. 94590.
Those seeking more information about how to donate can call (707) 644-3913.
shooting, crime, vallejo, north bay news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Woman suspected of starting brush fire arrested
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos