North Bay News
Memorial planned next week for Vallejo officer
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A memorial service is planned in Vallejo next week for slain police Officer James Capoot.
The memorial is scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday at Corbus Field, adjacent to Vallejo High School, where Capoot had coached a girls' basketball team.
Capoot, 45, was fatally shot while chasing a bank robbery suspect on Nov. 17. He is survived by his wife Jennifer and three daughters, Jillian, Jamie and Justine.
Capoot, who had been with the Police Department for 19 years, was the fourth Vallejo police officer killed in the line of duty in the city's 155-year history.
A former U.S. Marine, Capoot worked as a California Highway Patrol officer between 1990 and 1992 when he joined the Vallejo Police Department.
On the Vallejo police force, he had served as a motorcycle officer and instructor, a force operations instructor and a SWAT officer.
He received the Officer of the Year award in 2000, and was also awarded two of the department's Medals of Courage, a Life-Saving Medal and other commendations.
A trust fund has been established for his family at the Bank of the West in Vallejo. Donations can be made out to the Officer James Capoot Family Trust and mailed to the Vallejo Police Officers' Association, care of Sgt. Mark Nichol, P.O. Box 4218, Vallejo, CA. 94590.
Those seeking more information about how to donate can call (707) 644-3913.
shooting, crime, vallejo, north bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market 49 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...