East Bay News
Oakland's Paramount Theater honored at Preservation Ball
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A big party's planned in the East Bay to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the reopening of one of art deco's grandest landmarks.
After three years of being shuttered, money was raised in 1973 to do a complete restoration of Oakland's Paramount Theatre. It's now home of the Oakland East Bay Symphony and classic movies once a month.
The Art Deco Society of California is celebrating the theatre's preservation by holding a ball there this Saturday.
"The Paramount Theatre is the most spectacular art deco structure almost in the world," Art Deco Preservation Ball founder Laurie Gordon said. "There are some others that are quite grand but most people who have seen the paramount think this is the ultimate in art deco architecture."
For details about the Art Deco Preservation Ball, click here.
oakland, celebrity, art, music, movies, east bay news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Consumer Reports evaluates best toilet papers 33 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire 9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos