East Bay News
Oakland residents discuss strategies to stop violence
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Residents in Oakland are saying enough is enough and they want something done about escalating crime in the city.
People gathered at Frick Middle School in East Oakland Saturday evening to try a new strategy to combat violence; involving creating a stress free, violence free community.
People from different parts of Oakland gathered to talk about what it's like to live here.
In 2012 there were 131 homicides in Oakland. And so far this year there have been eight.
Organizers of the event wanted young people to figure out a new way to deal with their anger and frustration, because they say far too many lash out in a violent way.
"I think Oakland really needs young people to be trained in the basic value of life and have clear and specific strategies on how to address the stress in lives," said Bill Herman with Youth Empowerment for Schools.
Meditation is what another group also stressed as a way to manage problems.
Those at the gathering broke out into smaller groups and talked about ways they feel Oakland needs to change.
It wasn't a coincidence that the event was held at Frick Middle School. The school has already been on lockdown twice this year alone.
oakland, howard jordan, crime, shooting, murder, home invasion, guns, children, east bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline 51 min ago
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro 56 min ago
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that! 13 min ago
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- 'SNL' plans to add black female cast member
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks 16 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday