East Bay News
Inmate dies of apparent medical issue at county jail
MARTINEZ, Calif. -- An inmate at the Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez died Friday morning after suffering an apparent medical problem, a sheriff's spokesman said.
Around 4:10 a.m., an inmate notified a sheriff's deputy that his cellmate was unresponsive, sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
Jail medical staff and deputies responded immediately and began life-saving measures on the inmate, a 46-year-old Pittsburg man.
Contra Costa County Fire Protection District crews arrived at the jail and continued to try to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at 4:27 a.m. Lee said the man had "several existing medical conditions."
His name is being withheld until relatives are notified.
The sheriff's office and Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are investigating the man's death, following county protocol after in-custody deaths.
martinez, contra costa county, east bay news
- SF 'landlords from hell' plead guilty to felonies
- Coast Guard rescues 4 people along San Mateo coast 17 min ago
- Police enforce pedestrian safety with sting operation
- Fire concerns growing as July 4th approaches
- Dog that killed 6-year-old boy euthanized
- Panel restores some pay for lawmakers, governor
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu
- Woman receives $130 billion FasTrack bill
- SF LGBT film festival marks 37 years amid SCOTUS rulings
- SF couple uses Task Rabbit, Airbnb apps for profit
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder George Zimmer
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin
- roundup: Potrero Hill stabbing; BART review
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos