East Bay News
Inmate dies of apparent medical issue at county jail
MARTINEZ, Calif. -- An inmate at the Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez died Friday morning after suffering an apparent medical problem, a sheriff's spokesman said.
Around 4:10 a.m., an inmate notified a sheriff's deputy that his cellmate was unresponsive, sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
Jail medical staff and deputies responded immediately and began life-saving measures on the inmate, a 46-year-old Pittsburg man.
Contra Costa County Fire Protection District crews arrived at the jail and continued to try to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at 4:27 a.m. Lee said the man had "several existing medical conditions."
His name is being withheld until relatives are notified.
The sheriff's office and Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are investigating the man's death, following county protocol after in-custody deaths.
martinez, contra costa county, east bay news
- Palo Alto man detained in NKorea lands at SFO 13 min ago
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States 6 min ago
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 37 min ago
- Batkid returning to SF for fundraising walk
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday