East Bay News
Inmate dies of apparent medical issue at county jail
MARTINEZ, Calif. -- An inmate at the Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez died Friday morning after suffering an apparent medical problem, a sheriff's spokesman said.
Around 4:10 a.m., an inmate notified a sheriff's deputy that his cellmate was unresponsive, sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
Jail medical staff and deputies responded immediately and began life-saving measures on the inmate, a 46-year-old Pittsburg man.
Contra Costa County Fire Protection District crews arrived at the jail and continued to try to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at 4:27 a.m. Lee said the man had "several existing medical conditions."
His name is being withheld until relatives are notified.
The sheriff's office and Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are investigating the man's death, following county protocol after in-custody deaths.
martinez, contra costa county, east bay news
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stocks close mostly higher on earnings; Apple up
- California bill attacks growing corporate wage gap
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Historic Cal theater to reopen as live music venue
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued