East Bay News
Inmate dies of apparent medical issue at county jail
MARTINEZ, Calif. -- An inmate at the Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez died Friday morning after suffering an apparent medical problem, a sheriff's spokesman said.
Around 4:10 a.m., an inmate notified a sheriff's deputy that his cellmate was unresponsive, sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
Jail medical staff and deputies responded immediately and began life-saving measures on the inmate, a 46-year-old Pittsburg man.
Contra Costa County Fire Protection District crews arrived at the jail and continued to try to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at 4:27 a.m. Lee said the man had "several existing medical conditions."
His name is being withheld until relatives are notified.
The sheriff's office and Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are investigating the man's death, following county protocol after in-custody deaths.
martinez, contra costa county, east bay news
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro 49 min ago
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday