East Bay News
Man arrested after threatening to rob Safeway store
PINOLE, Calif. -- A man was arrested after allegedly threatening to rob a Pinole Safeway store at gunpoint on Monday, police said.
Officers were called to the Safeway at 1421 Tara Hills Drive at 5:35 p.m.
A store employee told police that a man had approached a cashier at a check stand and said he had a gun and "wanted all the money," police Cmdr. Peter Janke said.
But police said that before the cashier could hand the suspect any cash, the man said he was "just kidding" and left the check stand line.
The suspect began to walk out of the store as officers arrived, and was immediately taken into custody without incident.
The man, identified as 50-year-old Arthur Fedelin, of Pinole, was arrested on suspicion of attempted armed robbery and was taken to county jail in Martinez.
No one was injured, and no money was taken.
safeway, crime, east bay news
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb kills 91 13 min ago
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Teen dead, 2 injured in East Palo Alto shooting
- Vallejo fire leaves one person hospitalized
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
26 min ago