East Bay News
Hearing to determine hospital for Oikos suspect
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A hearing will be held Monday to determine where a man accused of fatally shooting seven people at Oakland's Oikos University in April 2012 will be sent after he was ruled incompetent to stand trial earlier this month.
Alameda County Superior Court Judge Carrie Panetta suspended legal proceedings on Jan. 7 against One Goh, 44, a Korean national living in Oakland after finding him incompetent to stand trial.
Monday's hearing will determine to which mental hospital he will be sent.
Goh is being held without bail at the Alameda County Jail in Dublin on seven counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder for allegedly shooting three victims who survived and 10 special-circumstance allegations, including committing murder during a carjacking.
Police said that Goh fled the campus after the April 2 shootings in a car belonging to one of the victims.
He was arrested in Alameda a short time later after he confessed to a Safeway security guard that he had just shot several people, according to police.
Goh is a former student who had left the school voluntarily. Prosecutors have said he appears to have wanted a refund of his tuition, and may have been targeting an administrator who was not present the day of the shooting.
According to a probable cause statement filed in court by Oakland police Officer Robert Trevino, Goh has admitted that he carried out the shootings.
Those killed were students Lydia Sim, 21, Sonam Choedon, 33, Grace Kim, 23, Doris Chibuko, 40, Judith Seymour, 53, and Tshering Bhutia, 38, and Katleen Ping, 24, who worked at the school.
Goh's lawyer, David Klaus, said earlier this month that the two psychiatrists who have examined Goh concluded that he suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and is unable to cooperate with his defense team because he doesn't understand the criminal justice system.
shooting, crime, oakland, Oikos shooting, napa state hospital, mental health, east bay news
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- A closer look at the America's Cup catamarans 28 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Bay Area man arrested for killing relatives abroad
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup 55 min ago
- Get Free Stuff: Challenge butter; Shoe laces 30 min ago
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
6 min ago
- Runways reopened after emergency landing at...
13 min ago