East Bay News
Hearing to determine hospital for Oikos suspect
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A hearing will be held Monday to determine where a man accused of fatally shooting seven people at Oakland's Oikos University in April 2012 will be sent after he was ruled incompetent to stand trial earlier this month.
Alameda County Superior Court Judge Carrie Panetta suspended legal proceedings on Jan. 7 against One Goh, 44, a Korean national living in Oakland after finding him incompetent to stand trial.
Monday's hearing will determine to which mental hospital he will be sent.
Goh is being held without bail at the Alameda County Jail in Dublin on seven counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder for allegedly shooting three victims who survived and 10 special-circumstance allegations, including committing murder during a carjacking.
Police said that Goh fled the campus after the April 2 shootings in a car belonging to one of the victims.
He was arrested in Alameda a short time later after he confessed to a Safeway security guard that he had just shot several people, according to police.
Goh is a former student who had left the school voluntarily. Prosecutors have said he appears to have wanted a refund of his tuition, and may have been targeting an administrator who was not present the day of the shooting.
According to a probable cause statement filed in court by Oakland police Officer Robert Trevino, Goh has admitted that he carried out the shootings.
Those killed were students Lydia Sim, 21, Sonam Choedon, 33, Grace Kim, 23, Doris Chibuko, 40, Judith Seymour, 53, and Tshering Bhutia, 38, and Katleen Ping, 24, who worked at the school.
Goh's lawyer, David Klaus, said earlier this month that the two psychiatrists who have examined Goh concluded that he suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and is unable to cooperate with his defense team because he doesn't understand the criminal justice system.
shooting, crime, oakland, Oikos shooting, napa state hospital, mental health, east bay news
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest 49 min ago
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum 43 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court 1 min ago
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in... 28 min ago
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area home prices steadily rising
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos