East Bay News
Oakland officer recovering after being shot
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A 13-year Oakland Police Department veteran is recovering after being shot in East Oakland Friday night.
At about 5:25 p.m., two uniformed officers responded to the intersection of 47th Avenue and East 12th Street on a report of a crash, Officer Johnna Watson said. At about 5:45 p.m., they heard gunfire.
As they approached the area where they heard the gunshots, the officers encountered a suspect armed with a firearm.
The suspect reportedly shot one of the officers and ran away, she said. Both officers pursued the suspect a short distance, arrested him nearby, and recovered his firearm, she said. At least one officer fired at the suspect.
The suspect was not injured and remained in custody tonight. The suspect's identity has not been released.
The officer's injuries are not considered to be life threatening, Watson said.
Investigators from the Major Crimes Unit and Internal Affairs Division remained at the shooting site at about 10 p.m. completing parallel investigations.
The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact the Oakland Police Department's Major Crimes Section at (510) 238-3821 or the tip line at (510) 777-2805.
An Oakland Police Department news briefing is expected to be held Monday about the shooting.
OPD, oakland, shooting, crime, east bay news
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday