East Bay News
Oakland officer recovering after being shot
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A 13-year Oakland Police Department veteran is recovering after being shot in East Oakland Friday night.
At about 5:25 p.m., two uniformed officers responded to the intersection of 47th Avenue and East 12th Street on a report of a crash, Officer Johnna Watson said. At about 5:45 p.m., they heard gunfire.
As they approached the area where they heard the gunshots, the officers encountered a suspect armed with a firearm.
The suspect reportedly shot one of the officers and ran away, she said. Both officers pursued the suspect a short distance, arrested him nearby, and recovered his firearm, she said. At least one officer fired at the suspect.
The suspect was not injured and remained in custody tonight. The suspect's identity has not been released.
The officer's injuries are not considered to be life threatening, Watson said.
Investigators from the Major Crimes Unit and Internal Affairs Division remained at the shooting site at about 10 p.m. completing parallel investigations.
The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact the Oakland Police Department's Major Crimes Section at (510) 238-3821 or the tip line at (510) 777-2805.
An Oakland Police Department news briefing is expected to be held Monday about the shooting.
OPD, oakland, shooting, crime, east bay news
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick 13 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 11 min ago
- Police make arrest in Daly City shooting 7 min ago
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion