East Bay News
Oakland officer recovering after being shot
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A 13-year Oakland Police Department veteran is recovering after being shot in East Oakland Friday night.
At about 5:25 p.m., two uniformed officers responded to the intersection of 47th Avenue and East 12th Street on a report of a crash, Officer Johnna Watson said. At about 5:45 p.m., they heard gunfire.
As they approached the area where they heard the gunshots, the officers encountered a suspect armed with a firearm.
The suspect reportedly shot one of the officers and ran away, she said. Both officers pursued the suspect a short distance, arrested him nearby, and recovered his firearm, she said. At least one officer fired at the suspect.
The suspect was not injured and remained in custody tonight. The suspect's identity has not been released.
The officer's injuries are not considered to be life threatening, Watson said.
Investigators from the Major Crimes Unit and Internal Affairs Division remained at the shooting site at about 10 p.m. completing parallel investigations.
The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact the Oakland Police Department's Major Crimes Section at (510) 238-3821 or the tip line at (510) 777-2805.
An Oakland Police Department news briefing is expected to be held Monday about the shooting.
OPD, oakland, shooting, crime, east bay news
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado 35 min ago
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation
- Safety recommendations released for America's Cup 18 min ago
- Overhead wire problems disrupt service on Muni
- Immigrant families disappointed by Feinstein's vote 34 min ago
- Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino opening
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer 28 min ago
- Homeless woman defies odds, graduates from UOP 51 min ago
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting 31 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma...
35 min ago
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
28 min ago