East Bay News
Man falls to his death in Oakland quarry
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The body of an Oakland man was recovered by a dive team early this morning. He lost his life searching for his beloved cat. The man fell into a water-filled quarry behind his home, in the city's Rockridge area.
In a neighborhood of cat lovers, Andrew Malyon stood out.
"How do you put it? That was his life, a part of his life, that was his little friend," neighbor Alan Werenskiod said.
Authorities say the 59-year-old man was searching for his cat behind his Rockridge home Tuesday night. The home sits on the edge of a steep cliff fenced off from an old rock quarry. Malyon apparently slipped and plunged nearly 100 feet into the water below.
"All I know is he gave his life for his cat," neighbor Ione Harris said.
Harris lives next door.
"When we bought this place in '95 and I stepped out on the back deck and looked down, I thought, 'Do you really want to buy here?'" Harris said.
Now she's mourning the neighbor who apparently lost his footing in the rain soaked hillside. A rescue boat and dive teams searched throughout the night before recovering Malyon's body around 1 a.m. The cat was found alive and is back home.
"He really loved the cats a lot and we all loved him," Harris said.
"He was wonderful, witty, dry sense of humor, loved the guy," Werenskiod said.
An Oakland Fire Department battalion chief told ABC7 News the Claremont Country Club owns the quarry. The club did not respond to requests for an interview.
oakland, east bay news, carolyn tyler
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 52 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
22 min ago