East Bay News
Model railroads come to life in Walnut Creek
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- An East Bay model railroad society that has been around for more than 60 years, is putting on a show this week like few others.
It takes a lot of passion and patience to keep this railroad running.
"We try to make it as realistic as we possibly can," said Jim Harrison.
There is a mile and a half of HO gauge track with sometimes ten trains running at once.
The Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society formed in 1948 and opened their building in 1975. Since then, they've never looked back.
The group stages elaborate railroad shows that include pretty much every act of nature short of a solar eclipse.
Beneath the trains is a labyrinth of secret passageways the public never sees. The underground leads to a kind of subterranean grand central station where they build the trains away from prying eyes, so as to not ruin any illusions.
Back upstairs, if you wonder how they keep all of those trains from bumping into each other, the secret is old technology. There is an array of switches, cable, and relays that once routed telephone calls for AT&T.
They say the railroad model will never be done or finished. It will always be a work in progress.
The shows run through November 25th, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
More info: Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society
walnut creek, east bay news, wayne freedman
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 20 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District 2 min ago
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 5 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
2 min ago