'Banana Joe' the affenpinscher wins Westminster
NEW YORK -- Banana Joe is America's top dog.
The affenpinscher with the monkeylike face and wagging tail was picked as best in show Tuesday night at the Westminster Kennel Club.
The 5-year-old earned his 86th best in show, a day before he was set to fly back to the Netherlands with his owner.
An old English sheepdog only 20 months old was picked as the runner-up at Madison Square Garden.
Also in the best-of-seven final ring were a German wirehaired pointer ranked as the nation's No. 1 show dog, an American foxhound, a Portuguese water dog, a bichon frise and a smooth fox terrier.
There were 2,721 entries in the 137th Westminster.
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
58 min ago