Facebook shifts focus to mobile platforms
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Facebook has been scrambling to catch up as its billion users shift to mobile devices. However, those mobile screens are so much smaller.
Wednesday afternoon, CEO Mark Zuckerberg acknowledged the trend, saying, "There's no argument that Facebook is a mobile company."
The mobile ads users see as they scroll through their news feed are now contributing 23 percent of Facebook's ad revenue, up 9 percent in just three months. The social network is pushing hard to make mobile use fast and appealing.
"Facebook has been making huge strides," tech analyst and blogger Robert Scoble said. "The new app that came out a couple days ago is faster again, and it has more of the desktop features. You can tell they're just working at taking over the mobile business."
Advertisers are making the shift too, even though they have less space to catch the eye of Facebook users.
"It's by far and away the fastest growing segment of advertising," Randy Basso said.
Basso is executive vice president at San Jose's Liquid Agency, which helps companies develop their brand image across multiple platforms.
The prize is billions of dollars in ad spending, expected to hit $11.4 billion this year according to Gartner Research.
Even skeptics may change their tune if Facebook continues to see its mobile ad revenue grow. The eyeballs are there with about two-thirds of Facebook's monthly users connecting via mobile devices.
facebook, silicon valley, smartphones, business, david louie
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd 48 min ago
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- Robbers steal computers, students' final projects
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- Report: Yahoo nearing $1.1B acquisition of Tumblr
- Adam Rosales' go-ahead homer lifts A's past Royals
- Rockies end 10-game skid vs Giants with 10-9 win
- Get Free Stuff: Purse, nail kit, comedy show
- abcnews: Rumor: Beyonce pregnant with 2nd child
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Bay to Breakers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
23 min ago