Exploratorium celebrates opening with light show
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The brand new Exploratorium opens on Wednesday on San Francisco's waterfront. ABC7 News is the hands-on science museum's official TV partner and we got a behind-the-scenes look at the spectacular free light show planned for the next two nights.
The Exploratorium is moving to Pier 15 and on Wednesday and Thursday night the historic facade of the building will be transformed by a huge high-tech light show.
ABC7 News saw a digital rendering of the display that shows just one part of the wild visual adventure being created by a company called Obscura Digital.
They also shot video of the experiments used to build the show. The company made10 small replicas of the façade, one so small it was on a microscope slide. Then they used all kinds of natural phenomena to create effects that will be projected onto the Exploratorium.
"We are actually taking into account the geometry and the architecture of the building to wrap the light around the building," said Garth Williams the creative director.
The new Exploratorium is directly across the Embarcadero from the ABC7 News Broadcast Center, so the master control for the light show is actually mounted on our roof. The show uses 11 super high power projectors. They're coordinated to create a continuous image the company says will look like its woven into the skin of the building.
The light show will go on from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. both Wednesday and Thursday nights. It's free to the public.
Written and produced by Jennifer Olney
exploratorium, assignment 7, dan ashley
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore 24 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
35 min ago
- Woman attacked by 200-pound bear
50 min ago
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos