7 On Your Side
Couple's switch to satellite more trouble than it's worth
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Sometimes a business will offer you a good deal, just for being a new customer. One Bay Area couple saved money by switching to a new satellite TV service, but their new system made it hard for them to watch TV.
Satellite TV usually works great but the couple experienced so many technical problems, they canceled their service. It cost them more than $1,000 to get out of the deal. That's when they turned to 7 On Your Side for help.
Ivan and Judie Aronson switched to Dish TV because it was offering a low price for new customers. However, they said, they could hardly enjoy television any more.
"You wanted a station; it wouldn't give you that station, it would give you another station," Judie said.
"It got so bad I decided I'm not going to play with it anymore and I canceled them," Ivan said.
Luckily Ivan says he never signed a 2-year contract. When he canceled the service, Dish sent a technician to pick up the equipment, and everything seemed fine -- until three months later.
Dish charged him $600 for the equipment even though a technician had picked it up and he had this receipt. Dish also charged a $400 early termination fee, even though Ivan says he never signed a contract.
Ivan disputed the charges on his credit card but Dish would only refund the $600 equipment fee and only after the parts arrived at its warehouse.
Dish kept telling Ivan his equipment had been delivered to Los Angeles, but had to arrive in Arizona before he could get his refund.
Months passed. Dish said it still didn't have the equipment. The Aronsons had enough. They contacted 7 On Your Side. We contacted dish and the very next day they got a call.
Dish agreed not only to refund the $600 equipment fee, but to drop the early termination fee. The company issued a statement saying, "We work hard to deliver an excellent entertainment experience, and it is our goal to offer a prompt, satisfactory resolution to any dissatisfied customer. In this situation, we were able to provide the customer an appropriate credit. We thoroughly train our representatives to handle customer matters efficiently and accurately, and we are constantly looking for ways to improve. We appreciate ABC7 bringing this matter to our attention..."
Ivan and Judie say after Dish promised a refund, they received a call from a representative in Arizona saying they were still waiting for that equipment to arrive. We thank Dish for speeding up the refund process and returning the funds.
television, san jose, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 6 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 2 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
6 min ago