7 On Your Side
Thieves target gift cards again
If you are buying a gift card, watch out. Thieves once again are stealing money right off the cards.
The Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Department posted a video on Facebook, warning that gift card fraud is on the rise.
Thieves can actually steal money from your gift cards by scanning the barcode and creating a duplicate. Once you load the card with money, they use their copy to buy merchandise.
The video shows and example: "This gift card has been tampered with. The barcode has been changed. The Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department recommends you get a gift card with a secure backing. That way you're not giving your money to a thief."
You can avoid theft by purchasing cards that are sealed in a package and do not have an exposed barcode.
crime, santa cruz county, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb kills 51 28 min ago
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks 58 min ago
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Firefighters battling 3-alarm grass fire in Orinda
- Teen dead, 2 injured in East Palo Alto shooting
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield
- 16-year-old killed in San Jose bike accident 18 min ago
- Gov. Brown cites safety in possible bridge delay
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- Publicist: Founding member of The Doors dies at 74
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra
- roundup: Bay to Breakers fall; Oakland Hills fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- 16-year-old killed in San Jose bike accident
24 min ago