7 On Your Side
Thieves target gift cards again
If you are buying a gift card, watch out. Thieves once again are stealing money right off the cards.
The Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Department posted a video on Facebook, warning that gift card fraud is on the rise.
Thieves can actually steal money from your gift cards by scanning the barcode and creating a duplicate. Once you load the card with money, they use their copy to buy merchandise.
The video shows and example: "This gift card has been tampered with. The barcode has been changed. The Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department recommends you get a gift card with a secure backing. That way you're not giving your money to a thief."
You can avoid theft by purchasing cards that are sealed in a package and do not have an exposed barcode.
crime, santa cruz county, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Officer-involved shooting shuts down I-5 31 min ago
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos