7 On Your Side
Thieves target gift cards again
If you are buying a gift card, watch out. Thieves once again are stealing money right off the cards.
The Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Department posted a video on Facebook, warning that gift card fraud is on the rise.
Thieves can actually steal money from your gift cards by scanning the barcode and creating a duplicate. Once you load the card with money, they use their copy to buy merchandise.
The video shows and example: "This gift card has been tampered with. The barcode has been changed. The Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department recommends you get a gift card with a secure backing. That way you're not giving your money to a thief."
You can avoid theft by purchasing cards that are sealed in a package and do not have an exposed barcode.
crime, santa cruz county, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii 55 min ago
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Tri-Valley area could see higher drought rates
- Most Sherpas decide to leave Everest for the season
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Homicide suspected after body found in San Jose
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- 7OYS explains how to get free car inspections
- Sharks beat Kings 4-3 in OT, take 3-0 series lead
- Powdered alcohols don't have approvals
- 92-year-old Navy veteran gets long-overdue medals
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Suspected San Jose homicide; Warriors Arena
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos