7 On Your Side
Thieves target gift cards again
If you are buying a gift card, watch out. Thieves once again are stealing money right off the cards.
The Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Department posted a video on Facebook, warning that gift card fraud is on the rise.
Thieves can actually steal money from your gift cards by scanning the barcode and creating a duplicate. Once you load the card with money, they use their copy to buy merchandise.
The video shows and example: "This gift card has been tampered with. The barcode has been changed. The Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department recommends you get a gift card with a secure backing. That way you're not giving your money to a thief."
You can avoid theft by purchasing cards that are sealed in a package and do not have an exposed barcode.
crime, santa cruz county, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101 57 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest 34 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree 12 min ago
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban 22 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide 10 min ago