Farm workers near Kerman protest United Farm Workers union
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Hundreds of farm workers have walked off the job in protest of a union, they say, isn't representing them fairly. The protest is happening south of Kerman at a farm near Central and Highway 145.
Many workers with Gerawan Farming are upset that the union is coming in and asking for 3 percent of their paychecks. Workers against the union say the United Farm Workers (UFW) is unfairly representing them. They say they do not want the union. They are paid $10 an hour and get health benefits.
The last vote was in the 1990's. They have circulated a petition to get another vote, but the Agriculture Labor Relations Board de-certified the petition, saying many of those signatures were fraudulent.
"They're not asking us if we want it or not, they're forcing us to have a union and we don't want that. We have a right to vote to choose, said Silvia Lopez, anti-union.
"The workers have already benefited from having the union here, but we also want to ensure that they have their rights. That they have just cause, seniority and other protections that come with union representation," Armando Elenes, UFW.
In a statement co-owner of Gerawan Farming, Dan Gerawan said, "It is unfortunate that our employees felt they needed to take such a drastic action to have their voices heard. We are still hopeful that the Ag labor board will protect the workers right to choose. We believe that the right to choose is a fundamental right of all employees." ------
Watch the video above and stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this story.
kerman, fresno county, protest, business, carlos saucedo
- Triple Fresno stabbing appears to be random act
- Teens using vapor pens to secretly smoke pot in school
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after fire
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Fresno wedding chapel vandalism suspect identified 31 min ago
- Pep Boys shops closed and under suspension
- Man arrested in Fresno home invasion
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Young woman dies in hit-run crash on Highway 99
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town