Springs Fire: Cooler weather helps firefighters gain upper hand
NEWBURY PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Firefighters have gained the upper hand on the Springs Fire. They hope to have the blaze out by Monday.
As of Sunday night, the fire was 75 percent contained. Since the blaze broke out Thursday morning, it has charred 28,000 acres of land and threatened 4,000 homes. Fifteen homes were damaged, but none were destroyed. At least 25 outbuildings and other property were destroyed.
Fire officials announced Sunday that they have demobilized fire resources, making them available to the districts they came from.
Changing weather conditions, including lower temperatures and increasing humidity, have facilitated progress.
Nearby residents have expressed concern that a spring storm could possibly trigger mud slides now that the grounds are blackened and barren.
However, fire officials said that so long as the rains are light, it will likely be beneficial for the land by helping it start setting roots again.
Also Sunday, investigators said that the cause of the fire was not suspicious in nature. They said an undetermined roadside ignition of grass or debris is what sparked the fire along the 101 Freeway.
Saturday, a firefighter slipped in rugged terrain while putting out a flare-up and sustained a head injury. He was transported to a hospital in Thousand Oaks, where he was reported in stable condition. He is expected to make a full recovery.
Authorities say one civilian and a total of six firefighters were injured in the Springs Fire, but the injuries were mostly minor, involving loose debris.
All mandatory evacuations for the Sycamore Canyon, Deer Creek, Yerba Buena, Broome, La Jolla, Leo Carrillo, Cotharin Road areas have now been lifted.
Also, California State University at Channel Islands announced the campus will be back open at 5 p.m. Sunday, including the library, dining services and student housing. Classes and activities are set to begin Monday.
fire, brush fire, wildfire center, leanne suter
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 10 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 37 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 3 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 5 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
39 min ago