Glendale fire fully contained; 75 acres burned
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A brush fire that charred 75 acres and forced evacuations in Glendale has now been fully contained, said fire officials on Sunday.
The blaze began at about 2 p.m. at the intersection of the 134 and 2 freeways. Responding firefighters found the fire burning on the west side of the 2 Freeway. Winds carried embers across the freeway and into Glenoaks and Chevy Chase canyons.
All of Glenoaks Canyon was evacuated. Evacuations were also in effect up to the 2700 block of Chevy Chase Canyon. Glenoaks Elementary School and the 500 block of Solway Street were also evacuated.
An evacuation center was set up at the Glendale Adult Recreation Center, located at 201 E. Colorado St. in Glendale.
The blaze also forced Glendale Community College to cancel classes Friday night.
No structures were lost or damaged, but two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
With possible rain in the forecast for Sunday and Monday, the Glendale Fire Department advised area residents to be ready for possible runoff near the area affected by the fire.
Tips to keep homes safe in case of runoff:
- Check and clean private drainage systems.
- Do not place leaves, debris or lawn clippings near storm drains.
- Place leaves and green trimmings in your Green Container for weekly recycling pickup.
- If you have a lawn or gardening service to maintain your property, please ask them to collect all leaves, debris and lawn clippings blown into the curbs and gutters. Debris left in the gutter is not only a city code violation, but also can contribute toward storm flow blockage during rain events.
- Keep natural waterways such as creeks and ditches free from obstacles and obstructions.
fire, brush fire, wildfire center
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 22 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 1 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 47 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 59 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 43 min ago
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup 7 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions 6 min ago
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand 26 min ago
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons