Glendale fire fully contained; 75 acres burned
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A brush fire that charred 75 acres and forced evacuations in Glendale has now been fully contained, said fire officials on Sunday.
The blaze began at about 2 p.m. at the intersection of the 134 and 2 freeways. Responding firefighters found the fire burning on the west side of the 2 Freeway. Winds carried embers across the freeway and into Glenoaks and Chevy Chase canyons.
All of Glenoaks Canyon was evacuated. Evacuations were also in effect up to the 2700 block of Chevy Chase Canyon. Glenoaks Elementary School and the 500 block of Solway Street were also evacuated.
An evacuation center was set up at the Glendale Adult Recreation Center, located at 201 E. Colorado St. in Glendale.
The blaze also forced Glendale Community College to cancel classes Friday night.
No structures were lost or damaged, but two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
With possible rain in the forecast for Sunday and Monday, the Glendale Fire Department advised area residents to be ready for possible runoff near the area affected by the fire.
Tips to keep homes safe in case of runoff:
- Check and clean private drainage systems.
- Do not place leaves, debris or lawn clippings near storm drains.
- Place leaves and green trimmings in your Green Container for weekly recycling pickup.
- If you have a lawn or gardening service to maintain your property, please ask them to collect all leaves, debris and lawn clippings blown into the curbs and gutters. Debris left in the gutter is not only a city code violation, but also can contribute toward storm flow blockage during rain events.
- Keep natural waterways such as creeks and ditches free from obstacles and obstructions.
fire, brush fire, wildfire center
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 7 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done 37 min ago
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Playa del Rey home break-in caught on camera
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 37 min ago
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine' 44 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry