Monrovia brush fire: Evacuations lifted
MONROVIA, Calif. (KABC) -- After an out-of-control brush fire caused the evacuation of some 200 homes, residents in Monrovia are returning home.
The fire broke out Saturday at around 11 a.m. near Avocado Place and Crescent Drive. As of 10:30 a.m. Sunday, the blaze had charred 125 acres. It was at 85 percent containment by 4 p.m. Fire officials had earlier reported that the fire had charred 175 acres but later decreased that figure.
In response to the flames, a mandatory evacuation was issued Saturday. It has since been lifted for all residents. There were 200 households asked to leave.
According to authorities, a piece of equipment used by a gardener sparked the flames. The wind and dry conditions helped the fire spread quickly.
"We are expecting, again, higher temperature with lower humidity. The wind is the biggest factor for us, our biggest concern," said Monrovia Fire Chief Christopher Donovan. "Our position is, we're cautiously optimistic. The goal is to get those residents back into their homes as soon as possible."
Fire crews have thrown everything they can at the blaze, including 65 fire engines, two air tankers and five helicopters. Sunday, authorities said approximately 160 firefighters were still battling the flames on the ground.
fire, wildfire center, q mccray
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault 1 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break