ABC7 Traffic Center
405 Freeway Sunset Boulevard ramp closure tests drivers' patience
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Drivers' patience was being tested Monday morning as traffic backed up on the 405 Freeway due to an off-ramp closure in the Westwood area.
The so-called "Ramp Jam" started Friday evening. The Sunset Boulevard off-ramp on the northbound 405 Freeway will be shut down for four months.
Caltrans crews are working to demolish the old off-ramp and finish a new ramp that is meant to hold 60 percent more vehicle traffic and will hopefully alleviate traffic troubles in the future. The new off-ramp will have two right-turn lanes and one left-turn lane.
"Ramp Jam" is part of the $1 billion 405 Freeway widening project, which is a year delayed and $75 million over budget.
Traffic is most likely going to get worse when the Wilshire Boulevard on-ramp to the northbound 405 Freeway closes on Aug. 22. The closure will last about three months.
The main detour is Sepulveda Boulevard. Metro recommends using Wilshire Boulevard or Moraga Drive to get around the closure. Officials say detours will be different day to night.
travel, traffic delay, road closure, westside, I-405 closure, road construction, abc7 traffic center, darsha philips
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 18 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 8 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
40 min ago
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
48 min ago