Eye On L.A.
Eye on LA's tropical retreat to the Aulani
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Lately, we've been feeling the need for a little tropical magic in our lives, so Eye on L.A. hopped a flight at LAX and headed straight for the amazing Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa!
AULANI, A DISNEY RESORT AND SPA
Imagine a resort and spa where the wonders of Hawaii meet the magic of Disney, in a perfectly placed beachfront setting on the shores of O'ahu. There's special entertainment for families to enjoy together or on their own. They also have a great kids club, an amazing spa, and a watery wonderland with twisting slides, a sunset whirlpool and lazy river--all surrounded by the authentic culture and tradition that is Hawaii.
92-1185 Ali'Inui Dr
Kapolei, HI 96707
Eye on L.A.'s Tina Malave recommends a visit to 'Ama'Ama restaurant at the Aulani where she learned how to make delicious Singapore Style Kuaui Shrimp and even had a drink named after her, the "Tina After Dark!"
"Tina After Dark" Recipe
By 'Ama'Ama Bar Manager Daniel Lucariello
1/2 oz Fresh OJ
1/2 oz Fresh lemon
1/2 oz Honey syrup
Rim glass with white & dark chocolate mixed w/ fleur del sol. Shake, strain and pour. Float Cabernet wine on top.
Singaporean Pepper Shrimp with Green Papaya Salad and Thai Ketchup Recipe
By 'Ama'Ama Chef de Cuisine Kevin Chong
Yield: 4 portions
20 ea 16/20 fresh Kaui Shrimp cleaned without head and shell
As needed Cornstarch
Preheat vegetable oil to 375 degrees. Coat the shrimp with cornstarch. Carefully place them in the hot oil. Once they are cooked and crispy, remove from the oil and lightly coat with the Singaporean sauce.
Singaporean Pepper Sauce
¼ Cup minced shallots
¼ Cup minced garlic
½ cup whole butter
½ cup green peppercorns
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 cups hoisin
Caramelize the minced shallots and garlic with the butter. Remove from heat and place in blender. Blend with the hoisin
Thai Ketchup (1 qt)
½ cup Ketchup
½ c Thai sweet chili sauce
1ea clove garlic
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon minced kaffir lime leaf
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice (or to taste)
¼ teaspoons fish sauce
With the exception of the herbs blend the ingredients until smooth then fold in the herbs.
1 tablespoon tamarind dissolved in 1cup warm then strain
1/3 cup lime juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
¼ teaspoon of chopped garlic
Mix all ingredients in a blender.
½ cup Heirloom cherry tomatoes cut into halves or quarters (top to bottom to make wedges)
2ea Shallots finely sliced
2cups Shaved Green Papaya
¼ cup Chinese long beans blanched and cut on long bias
¼ cup Cilantro leaves
¼ cup Sliced baby sweet peppers
1. Place 3 dots with Thai ketchup on the plate.
2. Arrange the fried shimp on the plate
3. Toss tomato wedges, shallots, green papaya, long bean, peppers with dressing.
4. Place the salad on the shrimp.
WIN A DISNEY ADVENTURE OF YOUR OWN!
Eye on L.A. is giving away a Grand Prize trip for 4 to the Aulani, and 4-packs of tickets to Disneyland. Go to Facebook.com/EyeOnLA to find out how to enter!
To see behind the scenes photos and exciting things to do and see around L.A., "LIKE" Eye on L.A and host Tina Malave on Facebook, and FOLLOW us on Twitter!
[Original air date: December 21, 2014]
eye on l.a.
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX? 22 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing 11 min ago
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts