Malala describes attack, recovery in book excerpt
LONDON (KABC) -- Malala Yousafzai, a 16-year-old Pakistani girl who was shot in the face by Taliban members, described the incident in her new book to be released Tuesday.
Malala is a vociferous supporter of education for girls. Her outspoken advocacy for girls' education made her a Taliban target. She was shot in the left eye socket at close range on a school bus on October 16, 2012 in Pakistan.
The book excerpt describes how she gradually regained her sight and her voice and was reunited with her parents.
Malala, who has been mentioned as a possible contender for the Nobel Peace Prize to be announced Friday, also describes her amazement at finding out that some 8,000 people had sent messages of support to the hospital.
"Rehanna, the Muslim chaplain, said millions of people and children around the world had supported me and prayed for me," Malala writes. "Then I realized that people had spared my life. I had been spared for a reason. I realized that what the Taliban had done was make my campaign global."
Malala, who is now residing in the U.K., also described her goal of one day returning to Pakistan despite the risks: "To be torn from the country that you love is not something to wish on anyone," she writes.
The book is titled "I am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 7 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed 33 min ago
- Mac and cheese gets upgrade at Beer Belly
47 min ago