US military helicopter crashes at American base in Okinawa
TOKYO (KABC) -- A U.S. military helicopter crashed Monday at an American base on the southern island of Okinawa, and all four crew members are believed to have survived, Japanese and U.S. officials said.
The U.S. Air Force released a statement saying that the HH-60 rescue helicopter was on an unspecified training mission when it crashed at Camp Hansen. The statement said the cause of the crash was not known and did not elaborate on the condition of the crew members.
However, Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera said he received information that three crew members ejected from the helicopter and the fourth was apparently injured and taken to a hospital.
Authorities said there were no reports of injuries or damage outside the base.
The rescue chopper belongs to Okinawa's Kadena Air Base.
The crash comes amid strong local opposition to the U.S. Marine Corps' additional deployment of 12 MV-22 Osprey transport aircraft on the island. About half of the 50,000 U.S. troops in Japan are based on Okinawa under a Japan-U.S. security pact.
In 2004, a CH-53 helicopter from Marine Corps Air Station Futenma crashed into a nearby university building. The accident triggered a large anti-base uproar. The crew survived, and there were no civilian injuries.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
japan, world news
- Search resumes for hiker in Santa Clarita 25 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 33 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- LA launches campaign to shut illegal pot...
13 min ago