Nelson Mandela's condition now critical - South Africa
JOHANNESBURG (KABC) -- Nelson Mandela's condition has become critical, according to the South African presidency.
The office of President Jacob Zuma released a statement on Sunday saying medical officials said the former president's condition had become critical over the past 24 hours.
"The doctors are doing everything possible to get his condition to improve and are ensuring that Madiba is well-looked after and is comfortable. He is in good hands," Zuma said in the statement, using Mandela's tribal nickname.
The 94-year-old has been listed in serious but stable condition since he entered the hospital June 8 to be treated for a recurring lung infection.
On Saturday, the South African government revealed that the ambulance carrying the Nobel Peace prize winner to the hospital two weeks ago had engine trouble, so he had to be transferred to another ambulance for his journey. However, officials emphasized that care was taken to ensure his condition was not affected.
The White House National Security Council spokeswoman noted the latest reports from the South African government about Mandela's worsening condition.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and the people of South Africa," said spokeswoman Caitllin Hayden.
In April, Mandela spent 18 days in the hospital due to a lung infection and was treated for gall stones in December 2012.
Mandela was jailed for 27 years under white racist rule and was released in 1990. He then played a leading role in steering the divided country from the apartheid era to democracy, becoming South Africa's first black president in all-race elections in 1994. As a result of his sacrifice and peacemaking efforts, he is seen by many around the world as a symbol of reconciliation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend 18 min ago
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing 41 min ago
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- Young patients travel from LA to 'North Pole'
2 min ago
- 91 Freeway expansion to ease 'Corona Crawl'
26 min ago